Science at Ben Rhydding Primary School
During this academic year Ben Rhydding Primary School is raising the profile of science across both Key Stages. We are striving to achieve a Primary Science Quality Mark which will mean that we have shown to the PQSM national governing body that we are delivering our science curriculum with a child lead approach which engages children, stimulates their curiosity and broadens their knowledge of the fascinating world of science.
Already this year there have been some AMAZING science moments:
- A mobile Planetarium visit for Years 4, 5 and 6
- A rocket workshop and launch for Years 5 and 6
- A visit to the Science Festival for Years 5 and 6
- A visit to Doncaster Safari Park for Year 2
- A ‘habitats’ trip to Middleton Woods’ for Year 4
- Some Owl visitors for Years 1 and 2
- A trip to the Colour Museum in Bradford for Year 6
- A host of unlikely visitors such as a snake, a tree frog and a tarantula for Year 1
- A SCHOOL WIDE Science day to celebrate ‘National Science Week’ which included Eclipse gazing through a modified telescope
As well as all these exciting events we have been developing a child lead approach to our science lessons and central to this is our ‘Child- friendly Principles of Science’:
If you want to get involved with science at Ben Rhydding Primary School, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Perhaps you have a scientific hobby; your work is in some way connected to science or you have some interesting artefacts that you would like to share? Please contact Mrs Cumberland ( Science Co-ordinator) via the school office .